Burnout and Nurse Anesthesia Professionals
New: A staggering 92% of clinicians call burnout a "public health crisis." Learn what over 450 clinicians shared by downloading Clinician Burnout in Healthcare: A Report for Healthcare Leaders for free!
New: The National Academy of Medicine released the report, Taking Action Against Clinician Burnout: A Systems Approach to Professional Well-Being. Download the PDF for free or purchase the physical report.
New: The American Hospital Association's 2020 Environmental Scan states that the annual cost of nurse burnout to the average hospital ranged from $5.2 to $8.1 million.
- The 2019 PRC National Nursing Engagement Report, a study of 2,000 nurses in 37 hospitals, states that 15.6% of nurses report feelings of burnout, with 41% of "Unengaged Nurses" feeling burned out.
AANA Journal Articles
- Turnover, Burnout, and Job Satisfaction of CRNAs in the US: Role of Job Characteristics and Personality, Feb. 2020
- Burnout and the Nurse Anesthetist, June 2019
- CRNA Working Conditions and Outcomes - A Review of the Literature, Aug. 2017
- Stress and Burnout in Nurse Anesthesia, April 2011
- Work Climate Related to Job Satisfaction Among Dutch Nurse Anesthetists, Feb. 2011
- A New Year: A New You, 2017
- Simplicity or Complexity The Choice is Yours, 2017
- Self-Care for the Mind, Body and Spirit, 2016
- Self-Care Techniques for a Balanced Body and Mind, 2016
- The Art of Being Selfish, 2008
- Compassion Fatigue, 2006
- See Wellness Milestones for more articles on stress, resilience, burnout, and balance
- From the Head of the Bed: Recharge - a talk on provider wellness, 2019
- Open Anesthesia: Burnout and Wellness, 2018
Non-AANA Journal Articles
- Bodenheimer T, Sinsky C. From triple to quadruple aim: Care of the patient requires care of the provider. Ann Fam Med. 2014;12(6):573-576.
- Garg PK et al. Associations of anger, vital exhaustion, anti-depressant use, and poor social ties with incident a-fib. Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2020;0(00):1-9.
- Garcia CL, Abreu LC, Ramos JLS, et al. Influence of burnout on patient safety: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Medicina. 2019;55(9):553.
- Görgens-Ekermans G, Brand T. Emotional intelligence as a moderator in the stress-burnout relationship: A questionnaire study on nurses. J Clin Nurs. 2012;21(15-16):2275-2285.
- Read the dissertation "The Relationship between Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists' Emotional Intelligence and Burnout" (2018) by Dianna Heikkila, PhD, CRNA.
- Tawfik DS, Scheid A, Profit J, et al. Evidence relating health care provider burnout and quality of care: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med. 2019;171(8):555-567.
Supporting Organizational Resources
The World Health Organization (WHO) has classified burn-out as a medical diagnosis in the latest edition of ICD-11 (04/2019). Read more.
- American Association for Physician Leadership
- American Nurses Association
- Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- Association Forum
- Becker's Hospital Review
- Georgetown Nursing
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI)
- The Joint Commission
- Lippincott NursingCenter:
- MedPage Today
- National Academy of Medicine
- OR Manager
- Yahoo Money