The Professional Practice Division provides evidence-based resources to support nurse anesthesia practice
- CRNAs Asked to Assume Critical Care Responsibilities During the COVID-19 Pandemic (2020) (NEW)
- Resources - Anesthesia Care of the Patient with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) (NEW)
- Nurses on Boards Coalition - Be Counted and Share Your Story
- The AANA Board of Directors approved the following practice documents Scope of Nurse Anesthesia Practice and Policy on Doctoral Projects Related to Practice Documents at their ADCE meeting.
- ACS Trauma Verification Program Removes Level III Restrictions on CRNA Practice
After extensive AANA advocacy, the American College of Surgeons Verification, Review, and Consultation Program recently removed the last remaining restriction on CRNA practice in the Level III trauma program. That restriction previously excluded non-independent CRNAs from serving as the anesthesia liaison to the facility trauma program. (The facility trauma program performs multidisciplinary peer review.)
- In the past, CRNAs with state supervision requirements could not serve in this role, even if an all-CRNA practice provided anesthesia for the facility. Instead, these facilities would need to retain a physician anesthesiologist solely to serve as anesthesia liaison to the trauma program.
- With this positive change, CRNAs may serve in this role regardless of whether they work under state physician supervision requirements. Facilities are no longer required to pay/retain a physician anesthesiologist solely to serve in this role.
- This means there are no remaining restrictions on CRNA practice in the Level III trauma program. For more information about the Level III requirements, see Resources for Optimal Care of the Injured Patient/ Resources Repository, including Verification Change Log 2020 and Clarification Document 2020.
- The CDC released the report, Suicide Rates by Industry and Occupation, 2016 which states Healthcare Practitioners are 8.5 times more likely to die by suicide than the general population. Visit the AANA's Depression and Suicidal Ideation webpage for more information
The Professional Practice Manual for the CRNA contains AANA anesthesia standards, scope of practice, practice and policy considerations, and position statements relevant to nurse anesthesia practice.
- Standards for Nurse Anesthesia Practice
- Scope of Nurse Anesthesia Practice
- Code of Ethics for the CRNA