Welcome to the Student Wellness page of the AANA website. My name is Adrienne Chavez and I am an SRNA at the University of Maryland. I am excited to be the student representative for the AANA’s Health and Wellness Committee for the fiscal year 2020. A little about myself: I love being outdoors, traveling, eating, and exercising. Although this program can be overwhelming at times, I believe our health should always remain a top priority.
It’s easy to place our health on the back burner when we have clinical, exams, and research papers to complete, but I challenge you to perform at least one act of self-care a week. Self-care can include activities like exercising, meditating, eating healthier meals, or pulling away from the books for a couple of hours and spending quality time with family. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, please take a look at the numerous resources AANA has listed on www.AANA.com/stress.
Substance use disorder (SUD) can affect anyone. If you or someone you know needs information regarding SUD, please use the AANA Peer Assistance hotline at 800-654-5167. This hotline provides 24/7 confidential live support to all CRNAs and SRNAs concerning SUD. Help is also available at www.AANA.com/gettinghelp.
If you have tips, tricks, or suggestions that you’d like to share, or need additional resources or ideas, please contact us at wellness@AANA.com. I wish you all good health and much success this year!
Links and Resources for SRNAs
It's not your imagination - student nurse anesthetists are stressed! Here is what you can do about it.
- AANA Journal
- Perceptions of Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists on Factors Affecting Their Transition from Student, December 2017
- Wellness and Thriving in a Student Registered Nurse Anesthetist Population, October 2017
- Stress: Perceptions, Manifestations, and Coping Mechanisms of SRNAs, August 2012
- Stress and Burnout in Nurse Anesthesia, April 2011
- Comparing the effects of stress and relationship style on SRNAs and CRNAs, April 2000
- AANA NewsBulletin
- The 10 Steps to Success as a SRNA, July 2017
- Healthy Eating Tips for SRNAs, September 2016
- The Power of Balance in the Aspiring Nurse Anesthetists, January 2016
- Stress in Nurse Anesthesia Educators and Students, May 2012
- Dealing with Stress: A Student Nurse Anesthetist's Perspective, March 2011
- Substance Abuse and Anesthesia: Why It Is Your Problem and What SRNAs Are Doing About It, November 2010
- Student Stress: A Question of Balance, May 2006
- AANA Resources
- AANA Student Homepage
- AANA Foundation Student Page
- Health & Wellness and Peer Assistance
- AANA THRIVE on career transitions, including finding a job, how to survive clinical, and informative podcasts to succeed in nurse anesthesia school.
- Stress and Nurse Anesthesia Professionals
- Physical Well-Being - practicing good health habits can often reduce stress and the physical and emotional symptoms too. Also see Emotional and Mental Well-Being.
- Faculty and Students: Substance Use Resources
- Getting Peer Assistance Help for Yourself and Others
- Student Members on AANA Committees - Volunteer Opportunities (member log-in required)