The AANA Journal is the official scholarly journal of the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists.
Current Print & Online Journal
Pain relief management is topical in the October 2019 AANA Journal issue, with articles on intravenous lidocaine for relief of chronic neuropathic pain; combined interscalene brachial plexus and superficial cervical plexus nerve block for midshaft clavicle surgery; and more. Don't miss "Inclusive Recruitment and Admissions Strategies Increase Diversity in CRNA Educational Programs." As always, be sure to see our online content below.
About the AANA Journal
The AANA Journal is the official scholarly journal of the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists. Published bimonthly, the AANA Journal delivers practical clinical information that fosters the understanding of the science of anesthesia delivery and investigates ideas, issues, and innovations that advance the practice of nurse anesthesia.
Policy for the Evaluation of Manuscripts Submitted by Individuals Involved in AANA Journal Editorial Decisions
AANA Journal editors who make decisions about manuscripts must recuse themselves from editorial decisions if they have conflicts of interest or relationships that pose potential conflicts related to an article under consideration.
AANA Journal Resources
- AANA Journal Masthead
- Information for Authors - What you need to know to properly format your manuscript.
- AANA Journal - What is an author?
- Journal Course Requirements
AANA Journal complies with the Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals developed by the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors, as well as all ethics, consent, and disclosure guidelines of the American Medical Association. In addition, all research published in AANA Journal requires institutional review board approval. Authors must disclose any conflict of interest, perceived or otherwise, at the point of submission. These relationships, commercial or otherwise, if they exist, will be disclosed in the published article.
Current Online Content
Mary Jeanette Mannino, JD, CRNA
Berend Mets, MB ChB, PhD
Bruce E. Koch, MSN, CRNA
Lisa Ferrand, MSA, CRNA, APRN
Edwin Aroke, PhD, CRNA
About Our Online Content
In an effort to increase the number of case studies and research papers published in the print issue of the AANA Journal, beginning with the February 2017 issue, Journal departments such as Research News, Education News, Legal Briefs, Imagining in Time, Guest Editorials, as well as letters, book reviews, and the annual index of articles, will be published solely online at www.aana.com. Additional articles also may be published only online as well. Read more. [PDF]
Call for Editorial Submissions
AANA Journal seeks high-quality submissions in the following areas:
- Perioperative care: inclusive of preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative phases
- Basic sciences as they relate to anesthetic considerations: inclusive of physiology, pharmacology, chemistry, and physics
- Technological issues related to anesthetic considerations: engineering, mechanical, monitoring
- Management of perioperative pain with particular attention to mechanisms and multimodal therapies
- State-of-the-art reviews
- Simulation in anesthetic training
- Discovery research that illuminates important questions involving anesthetic management
- Computing, electronic record keeping, and information access that enhances communication and patient care
- Anesthetic subspecialty domains inclusive of cardiovascular, obstetrical, neurosurgical, and pediatric
- Innovations in the anesthetic care of patients
- Critical care and resuscitation
- Regional anesthesia and ultrasound guided nerve blocks