State Health and Wellness
Ideas for State Association Meetings
There are many health and wellness ideas to support the personal well-being of CRNAs and student nurse anesthetists close to where they live and work.
Benefits to promoting health and wellness:
- Adds variety and networking opportunities
- Helps encourage healthy behaviors
- Provides awareness of the occupational risk of substance use disorder (SUD)
- Informs members of the AANA resources for assisting colleagues with SUD
Ideas and resources:
- Involve your state's State Peer Advisor (SPA) volunteer. All SPAs have participated in education and training for readiness to provide education and outreach in your state.
- Build awareness with the Health and Wellness Exhibit Toolkit (link on left hand side of this page). Includes a printable version of these ideas and to download handouts or art for the display.
- Include Health/Wellness and Substance Use Disorder Topics: there are so many topics of health and wellness that are beneficial to your audience. See CRNA Wellness and Substance Use Disorder Speakers (link on left hand side of this page).
- Offer Wellness Activities to your Attendees:
- There are lots of creative ideas from 5K walk/runs, Yoga, tai chi, salsa dancing, Zumba, etc.
- Poll your membership - you might find several skilled to run a class or eager to lead a group of walker or runners.
- Designate a morning or evening meeting spot and time for runners and walkers to informally congregate and go out as a group.
- Add Fundraising Opportunities to your Wellness Display:
- Run a game or raffle to encourage social responsibility.
- Funds could be raised to donate to nonprofits such as the AANA Foundation for scholarships or the Jan Stewart Memorial Wellness Lecture Series fund, a local charity, or a cause related to patient safety.
- Invite AANA and State Association Leadership: AANA Leadership supports CRNA and student nurse anesthetists' wellness. Invite national and state leaders to be included in your health and wellness activities.
- Bring Wellness Resources to your Meeting Attendees:
- Post information on local houses of worship - spiritual wellness opportunity for those away from home.
- Schedule an Anesthetists in Recovery (AIR) support meeting. Your state's SPA can provide information.
- List or link to information about the hotel's fitness center or local classes.