Emotional and Mental Well-Being
Suicidal Thoughts? Get Help: 800-273-TALK (8255) or chat with a counselor 24/7.
Nurse anesthetists, like other health care professionals, can experience occupational hazards of stress, burnout, compassion fatigue, and post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Self care is important, along with learning healthy coping mechanisms in both your personal and professional life.
From the Mental Health America website: "Not everyone experiences mental illness—but everyone has mental health. Instead of focusing only on people who have already reached a point of crisis, we try to help people understand their mental health needs as early as possible.”
See the collection of research and published articles for the topic of stress and burnout among anesthesia professionals.
Mental and Emotional Well-Being Resources
"It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light." Aristotle Onassis
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association (APNA) Position: Whole Health Begins with Mental Health
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA)
- Institute of HeartMath
- Mental Health America (MHA)
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
- National Institute of Mental Health:Booklets, Brochures and Fact Sheet
- Screen for Mental Health (SMH)
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration (SAMHSA)
- ULine - resources for college mental health
Meditation / Mindfulness
"You have a treasure within you that is infinitely greater than anything the world can offer." Eckhart Tolle
- Andrew Weil, MD: Three Breathing Exercises
- Authentic Happiness
- Berkeley Greater Good Science Center - Mindfulness
- Harvard Business Review: Mindfulness Can Literally Change Your Brain
- Johns Hopkins: Mindfulness Meditation
- Mindfulness Solution
- ANA Nursing Knowledge Center: Cultivating Mindfulness online course
Supporting Maternal Mental Health
Note: Links to external sites are provided as a convenience and do not imply endorsement. AANA Health and Wellness is not responsible for any content on these websites, but hopes they help support your well-being.