John F. Garde Researcher of the Year Award
The Researcher of the Year Award is named in memory of John F. Garde, a previous Foundation Trustee, AANA Executive Director, and charter member of the AANA Foundation. John was instrumental in the creation of the Foundation and realized the importance of supporting nurse anesthesia long into the future. He was a leader whose accomplishments are remarkable by anyone’s standards. The John F. Garde Researcher of the Year Award recognizes an individual who has made a significant contribution to the practice of anesthesia through research.
The Researcher of the Year Award recognizes people who have made significant contributions to the practice of anesthesia through research and is named in memory of John F. Garde, a previous Foundation trustee, AANA executive director, and charter member of the AANA Foundation. The AANA Foundation presents the prestigious 2019 John F. Garde Researcher of the Year Award to Captain Dennis Spence, PhD, CRNA, NC, USN. Captain Spence received his Bachelor of Science in Nursing from the University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, his Master of Science from Georgetown University/Navy Nurse Corps Anesthesia Program, and his PhD from Rush University Graduate School of Nursing. Today, Captain Spence is a TriService Nursing Research Program Advisory Council Member, Adjunct Professor at the USUHS GSN, Adjunct Faculty at Texas Wesleyan University, and member of the Board of Directors for the NBCRNA. Captain Spence is recognized not only for his extensive scientific contributions to the nurse anesthesia profession, but also for his selfless dedication as a mentor to other CRNAs, SRNAs, and nurse scientists of the Armed Forces on research and evidenced-based practice. In only 10 years since graduating with his PhD, and while maintaining significant clinical and military responsibilities, Captain Spence has published 22 peer-reviewed articles, received $1.3M in research grants, disseminated research findings at over 40 national and local presentations, and served as a journal reviewer for the AANA and member of the TriService Nursing Research Program Advisory Council.
Previous Researchers of the Year
- 2000 - Denise Martin-Sheridan, EdD, CRNA
- 2001 - Thomas E. Obst, PhD, CRNA
- 2002 - Francis Gerbasi, PhD, CRNA
- 2002 - Joseph Pellegrini, DNSc, CRNA
- 2003 - Michele E. Gold, PhD, CRNA
- 2004 - Karen Crawforth, PhD, CRNA
- 2005 - Clarence Biddle, PhD, CRNA
- 2006 - Normalynn Garrett, PhD, CRNA
- 2007 - CAPT Charles Vacchiano, PhD, CRNA, PhD, USN (Ret), NC
- 2008 - Michael Fallacaro, DSN, CRNA
- 2009 - CDR John Maye, PhD, CRNA, USN, NC
- 2010 - Charles A. Griffis, PhD, CRNA
- 2011 - Maureen P. Reilly, PhD, MSN, MHS, CRNA
- 2012 - Bruce Schoneboom, PhD, CRNA, FAAN
- 2013 - Paul Austin, PhD, CRNA
- 2014 - Ladan Eshkevari, PhD, CRNA, LAc
- 2015 - Bonnie Molloy, PhD, CRNA
- 2016 - Tamra Dukatz, MSN, CRNA
- 2017 - AANA Foundation Closed Claim Research Team
- 2018 - Colonel Tomas Ceremuga, PhD, MSN, CRNA
Now closed for 2020: Application materials for the John F. Garde Researcher of the Year Award.
Make a gift to the John F. Garde Endowment Fund and select JF Garde Fund from the drop down.