Resuming Elective, Non-Urgent Surgical Procedures
Relevant references and resources to help facilities and clinicians determine whether the timing of reopening and resuming elective, non-urgent cases and the safety of the working environment are appropriate prior to returning to work.
- Joint Position Statement: Resuming Elective Non-Urgent Gastrointestinal Procedures during the COVID-19 Pandemic, 5/28/20 NEW
- Position Statement: Resuming Elective, Non-Urgent Surgical Procedures during the COVID-19 Pandemic, 4/21/20
- Also, see PPE, N95 Masks, and Respirators resources on Practice Resources (COVID-19).
- White House/CDC Guidelines on Opening Up American Again
- The Joint Commission: Preventing Coronavirus Transmission in ASCs
- CMS: OPENING UP AMERICA AGAIN Recommendations Re-opening Facilities to Provide Non-emergent Non-COVID-19 Healthcare: Phase I
- ACS, ASA, AORN, AHA: Roadmap for Resuming Elective Surgery after COVID-19 Pandemic
- ACS: Local Resumption of Elective Surgery Guidance
- ASCA: Resuming Elective Surgery as the COVID-19 Pandemic Recedes
- APSF: COVID-19 and Anesthesia FAQ
- APSF, ASA: Joint Statement on Perioperative Testing for COVID-19 Virus
- ASHE: COVID-19 FAQs
- SAMBA: COVID-19 Resources
- AAAHC: COVID-19 Response Plan - What You Need to Know: Updates & Resources
- AAAASF: COVID-19 Facility Resources
- AAAASF: Guide to Re-Opening your AAAASF-Accredited Facility After Closure Due to COVID-19
- AAAASF: COVID-19 Updates for Facilities, Surveyors, and Patients
Surgical and Procedural Specialties
- AAOS: Navigating the COVID-19 Pandemic
- ACG: POST-COVID-19 Resuming Endoscopy
- ASGE: Guidance for Resuming GI Endoscopy and Practice Operations After the COVID-19 Pandemic
- AGA, DHPA: Recommendations for Resumption of Elective Endoscopy During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- ASIPP: Checklist and Risk Stratification for Opening of Interventional Pain Management Practices
- ASIPP: Toolkit for Restarting Practice
- ASPS: Considerations for the Resumption of Elective Surgery and Visits
- ASPS: COVID-19 Informed Consent
- AOA: Optometry practice reactivation preparedness guide
- AAO: Ophthalmic ASC Reopening Guidance
- AAO: Ophthalmic ASC Checklist for Reopening
- CSCS: Ramping Up the Delivery of Cardiac Surgery During the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Guidance Statement from the Canadian Society of Cardiac Surgeons
- CDC: Non-COVID-19 Care Framework
- STS: COVID-19: Crisis Management in Congenital Heart Surgery
- STS: COVID-19 Guidance for Triage of Operations for Thoracic Malignancies: A Consensus Statement from Thoracic Surgery Outcomes Research Network
- Spine Intervention Society: COVID-19 Resources
- Johns Hopkins: National Action Plan for Expanding and Adapting the Healthcare System for the Duration of the COVID Pandemic
- How to Risk Stratify Elective Surgery during the COVID-19 Pandemic?, Patient Saf Surg, 2020.
- Economic Recovery After the COVID-19 Pandemic: Resuming Elective Orthopedic Surgery and Total Joint Arthroplasty, J Arthroplasty, 2020
- After the COVID-19 Pandemic: Returning to Normalcy or Returning to a New Normal?, J Arthroplasty, 2020
- Post COVID-19: Planning Strategies to Resume Orthopaedic Surgery – Challenges and Considerations, J Clin Orthop Trauma, 2020
- Recommendation to Optimize Safety of Elective Surgical Care While Limiting the Spread of COVID-19: Primum Non Nocere, Arthrosc Sports Med Rehabil, 2020
- Medically Necessary, Time-Sensitive Procedures: Scoring System to Ethically and Efficiently Manage Resource Scarcity and Provider Risk During the COVID-19 Pandemic, J Am Coll Surg, 2020.
- The Surge after the Surge: Cardiac Surgery post-COVID-19, Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 2020.
- Recommendations for Surgery During the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Epidemic, Indian J Surg, 2020.
- Practice of endoscopy during COVID-19 pandemic: position statements of the Asian Pacific Society for Digestive Endoscopy (APSDE-COVID statements), BMJ 2020.
- A Radiation Oncology Departmental Policy for the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
- Sharing of Experience – Hong Kong
- The Response of An Orthopedic Department and Specialty Hospital at the Epicenter of a Pandemic: The NYU Langone Health Experience, J Arthoplasty, 2020.
The resources on this page may incorporate or summarize views, guidelines, or recommendations of third parties. Such material is assembled and presented in good faith, but does not necessarily reflect the views of the AANA. Links to third-party websites are inserted for informational purposes and do not constitute endorsement of the material on those sites, or of any associated organization. The resources on this page are for information only and are not medical or legal advice. They are not official AANA policy (unless indicated) and they do not supersede laws, regulations, or government directives or dictate the decisions of the individual CRNA or facility.