Essential Do's and Don't of Conducting an Intervention for drug or alcohol addiction:
- Include a trained interventionalist, family, spouse, and colleagues.
- Include as many people as you can and be sensitive to gender.
- Bring all the evidence.
- Get a properly collected drug screen.
- Do not let the person out of your sight! Do not let them drive!
- Have a bed in a treatment facility ready
- Do not let the addict decide their treatment. Remember, they are sick.
- When all else fails, threaten to call the police. Often, this will cause the individual to admit that he/she has a serious problem.