AANA members served in the Korean War.
By a unanimous vote, the plan for the accreditation of schools of anesthesia for nurses was approved at the Annual Meeting, along with a $5 dues increase to fund the program.
Members at the Annual Meeting approved a resolution in support of the Bolton Bill, which provided equal status for male nurses in the Armed Forces.
A recruiting drive began with the mailing of “Anesthesia…a Specialty for Professional Nurses” to all nursing school directors.
Membership passed 5,000.
Rev. Francis Przybylski wrote the prayer to St. René, the newly designated patron saint of anesthetists.
President Verna Bean wrote an “Open Letter to the Membership” in the NewsBulletin, urging nurse anesthetists to volunteer for service in Korea.
The AANA appointed three specialists in the field of adult education as accrediting advisors to assist the nurse anesthesia educators in developing and implementing the accreditation criteria.
The executive office moved to 116 S. Michigan Ave. in Chicago.
Under consideration since 1947, a resolution to form a House of Delegates was postponed indefinitely.
The Air Force Program Training Requirement HQ USAF authorized the first nurse anesthetist training programs. Two schools, located at Sampson Air Force Base in Geneva, N.Y., and Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas, opened in 1952.
The AANA implemented its program for accrediting nurse anesthesia schools in January.
The position of Educational Director was created.
The Board of Trustees approved the Statement of Principles Regarding Personnel Practices for Nurse Anesthetists.
The first State Night Friendship Dinner was held at the Annual Meeting.
The regional system for electing trustees (later called directors) was created with five regions.
School Director’s Exchange, the first publication for school program directors, was published.
The Code of Ethics was first adopted.
The first Refresher Course was held. Nonmembers with nurse anesthesia experience, but without formal training, took the course to become eligible for membership.
The executive office employed a staff of nine.
The U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare recognized the AANA as the accrediting agency for schools of nurse anesthesia.
Edward Lyon, a nurse anesthetist, became the first man to be commissioned in the U.S. Army Nurse Corps.
The membership list was printed in the Journal for the last time.
A public relations survey on anesthesia services was sent to members and the results were published in the Journal.
The January NewsBulletin printed an article regarding the direct billing of patients for services by nurse anesthetists.
Maginnis & Associates began offering liability insurance to AANA members.
The AANA became an organizational member of the American Committee on Maternal Welfare.
The credential Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) was adopted at the Annual Meeting.
The first Refresher Course for Members was held.
The first claim under the AANA Income Protection Plan was paid.
Life and student membership categories were created.
Two new brochures, “Nurse Anesthetist…Career” and “All About Nurse Anesthetists,” debuted at the Annual Meeting.
Notes on the Respiratory System, Notes on Chemistry and Physics, Notes on the Circulatory System, and Notes on the Nervous System were the first in a 13-part series of educational publications written by Educational Director Clarene Carmichael.
The executive office moved to offices in the Prudential Plaza at 130 E. Randolph in Chicago.
The bylaws were changed to select a president-elect who would become president the following year.
Green beanies were given to first-time attendees of the Annual Meeting for the first time.
Evelyn Auld became the first president-elect.
Joseph McCullough was the first male elected to the AANA Board of Trustees.