Timeline of AANA History, 1930s

1930
At the biennial convention of the American Nurses’ Association, Agatha Hodgins presented a paper suggesting the organization of nurse anesthetists into a "coherent and acting body."

1931
Agatha Hodgins founded the National Association of Nurse Anesthetists (NANA) on June 17, in Cleveland, Ohio.
 
The Ohio, Alabama, and Pennsylvania associations of nurse anesthetists became the first state groups to organize. They would affiliate with the NANA in 1935.
 
1932 
The NANA was incorporated in Ohio on March 12.
 
The first dues were $5 plus a $1 initiation fee.
 
1933
The first Annual Meeting was held in Milwaukee with 120 attendees.
 
Agatha Hodgins was elected Honorary President at the Annual Meeting business meeting.
 
The Report of First Annual Meeting of the National Association of Nurse Anesthetists (which would eventually become the AANA Journal) was published.
 
Committees established by the 1933 bylaws were Membership, Program, Legislation, Education, and Finance.
 
1934
In Chalmers-Francis v Nelson, the California Supreme Court affirmed the superior court finding for nurse anesthetist Dagmar Nelson in a ruling that confirmed the legality of nurse anesthesia practice. AANA filed its first amicus curiae brief for the case.
 
President Gertrude Fife submitted a plan for accrediting schools of anesthesia for nurses to the Board of Trustees. Although the trustees did not approve Fife’s plan, accreditation would remain an important issue for the Association for almost 20 years.
 
The preparation of a curriculum outline for schools of anesthesia for nurses was recommended by the Education Committee at the Annual Meeting.
 
Helen Lamb succeeded Hodgins as chair of the Educational Committee. Lamb shepherded the effort to set accreditation standards for nurse anesthesia schools through its implementation in 1952 and beyond to promote AANA’s efforts to improve the education for nurse anesthetists.
 
The Public Relations, Publications, and Revision committees were formed.
 
1935
The Board of Trustees of the American Hospital Association adopted the resolution:
“RESOLVED, That it is the judgment of the Trustees of the American Hospital Association that any legislation that bars, or tends to bar, the use of properly trained anesthetists would be a mistake and a step backwards.”
 
Helen Lamb, chairman of the Education Committee, presented a report that recommended an endorsed curriculum for schools of anesthesia. The report outlined subjects to be taught and specified minimum hours of classroom and clinical instruction, as well as the minimal number of cases student nurse anesthetists should administer.
 
The bylaws were renamed the Code of Regulations, but were changed back in 1973.
 
The Report of Annual Meeting of the National Association of Nurse Anesthetists broadened its scope and was renamed the Bulletin of the National Association of Nurse Anesthetists.
 
1936
The NANA Headquarters moved to 2073 Adelbert Road in Cleveland, Ohio.
 
The NANA membership passed 1,000.

A trust fund was established to provide assistance to members who became “indigent through lack of employment or physical disability.” 
 
1937
The NANA Headquarters moved again, this time from Cleveland to 18 E. Division St., Chicago, Ill., in October.
 
1938
Anna Willenborg became the first full-time, salaried executive officer when she was named executive secretary.
 
The first dues increase raised dues by $1 to $6.
 
An Annual Meeting registration fee ($1)was charged for the first time, and members voted to charge a registration fee at future annual meetings to increase revenue. 
 
1939 
The NANA changed its name to the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (AANA) and reincorporated in Illinois on October 17.
 
The only Annual Meeting outside the United States was held in Toronto, Canada.
 
Helen Lamb presented to the Board of Trustees a plan for visitation of the schools of nurse anesthesia. 
 
The Curriculum and Nominating committees were formed.
 
 
 
Pre-AANA
 
Timeline Home
 
1940s