The Association of Veteran’s Affairs Nurse Anesthetists (AVANA) Board of Directors and Scholarship Committee invite you to participate in an exciting leadership development opportunity for Student Registered Nurse Anesthetists (SRNAs), the AVANA Leadership Project for SRNAs (ALPS).
AVANA is seeking to support SRNA education and the development of leadership skills by encouraging SRNAs to become actively involved in educational, advocacy, and leadership activities. AVANA believes that this will result in a stronger and more engaged group of future CRNAs. This project has proven and promises to be a very enriching educational experience and career development opportunity for the two selected SRNAs.
AVANA will select and sponsor two SRNA applicants to attend the following meeting:
AANA Mid-Year Assembly, Washington D.C.
April 18-22, 2015
Airfare and two nights hotel accommodations will be sponsored. The SRNA will meet with the AVANA members who attend AANA Mid-Year Assembly and will work with one board member mentor. The student will join board members to visit the House and Senate Committees on Veterans Affairs. The SRNA will also enjoy a sponsored dinner hosted by their assigned mentor and AVANA board members.
All application materials must be submitted between September 15-November 15, 2014.
The required application materials include:
- Curriculum Vitae (include projected graduation date)
- Letter of Intent (please answer the following):
1. Why is leadership important in your career as a CRNA?
2. How have you been involved in a leadership role in your career?
3. How does participation in a professional organization make CRNAs stronger as individuals and as a group?
4. What are your plans for the future?
- Current transcript from enrolled nurse anesthesia educational program
- One letter of recommendation from program director, clinical or didactic faculty or a CRNA in a leadership role
All applicants will be notified of selection choices in the first week of January.
If the selected SRNA is unable to attend the planned meeting, the SRNA will not be reimbursed for the costs incurred. However, every effort will be made by AVANA to help redeem costs incurred by SRNA.