The Didactic Instructor of the Year Award, established in 1991, is presented to an individual who has made a significant contribution to the education of student nurse anesthetists in the classroom. This Award recognizes the commitment of individuals to the profession of nurse anesthesia and to the advancement of educational standards that further the art and science of anesthesiology and result in high quality patient care.
The Award is inscribed with the recipient’s name and the year of presentation. The recipient’s name is also added to a plaque bearing the names of previous recipients, which is displayed in the AANA Executive Office. The Award is presented during the AANA Annual Meeting.
The nominee may be a CRNA or non-CRNA, who has been active in the educational process of student nurse anesthetists in the classroom during the most recent year ending August 31. The nominee may be living or deceased. The individual must:
- Have made significant contributions to the profession of nurse anesthesia.
- Be recognized as an outstanding educator.
- Have served as a mentor for faculty and nurse anesthesia students.
- Be recognized as a professional role model.
- Have participated in professional activities related to a nurse anesthesia program (e.g., committees)
- Have actively supported CRNAs
Frank J. Tornetta, PhD, MD
Sandra L. Lovell, CRNA, MA, MS
Roy Ashton, PhD
John J. Nagelhout, CRNA, PhD
George G. DeVane, CRNA, MHS
Roderick Reinke, PhD
David J. DeNuccio, PhD
Valdor L. Haglund, Jr., CRNA, MS
No award presented
James Kerns, PhD
Celeste G. Villanueva, CRNA, MS
Emmett L. Foulds, Jr., MS
Dolores Gibbs, CRNA, PhD
Clayton Littell, RPh
Michael O'Donnell, PhD
Janet A. Dewan, CRNA, MS
Douglas A. Christie III, RN, PhD
Glenn Brice, PhD
James Norton, PhD
Albert Swafford, Jr., PhD
Lisa Carney Anderson, PhD