Hospital Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis, Springfield , Ill.
Sister Rudolpha accepts the 1954 Award of Appreciation from President Josephine Bunch.
The Award of Appreciation of the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists is to be conferred upon the Hospital Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis, Springfield, Ill., during the Twenty-first Annual Meeting in Chicago. Sister Rudolpha, Director of the School of Anesthesia at St. John’s Hospital, will accept the award in behalf of the Order at the annual banquet on September 15, in the Ballroom of the Sheraton Hotel.
At St. John’s Hospital in Springfield nurses were trained to administer anesthetics in 1880, Sister Eltrich and Sister Vanossa Woenke being the first of many Sisters trained in the hospitals conducted by the Order. In 1912, Mother Magdalene Wiedlocher who believed in postgraduate training in all fields of nursing and was herself an anesthetist, organized a course in anesthesia for Sisters who were graduate nurses. The postgraduate courses in the school were opened to secular nurses in 1924. Sister Rudolpha has been the Director of the School since 1924.
In selecting this year’s recipient of the award, the Board of Trustees of the Association recognizes in particular the long-time contributions of the Hospital Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis to the education of the nurse anesthetist.
Source: AANA NewsBulletin. 1954;8(3):3,8.